The Old Tongue is the language which was spoken in ancient times when the diarmadh'im ruled. Certain peoples still speak the language, such as the Desert Tribes and the mountainous people of Firon. Many of the terms or titles are still in use or resemble modern words.
A glossary of terms in the Old Tongue can be found on Melanie Rawn's official website here
- Azhdeen: Dragonbrother, the name of Pol's dragon
- Chay: hawk
- Chiana: treason
- Elisel: Little Wing, name of Sioned's dragon
- Jast'rei (or Jastri): Prince's son
- Jihan: noble rose
- Meig: silk
- Pol: star
- Sejast: dark son
- Athri: Wall Lord, title given to a landed Lord
- Azhrei: Dragon Prince, Rohan's title
- Azhreia: Dragon Princess, Sioned's title as Rohan's wife
- Devri: Lord of Light, title granted at nine faradhi rings
- Diarmadhi: Stoneburner, this is the true name for a sorcerer
- Faradhi: Silent Knowledge, this is the true name for a Sunrunner
- Isulki: Swift One, one of the Desert Tribesmen
- Kir'rei:High Prince
- Kir'reia:High Princess
- Korrus: Battle Leader, title given to Isulki leaders such as Kazander
- Merida: Gentle Glass, a people of assassins
- Ros'eltan: The Black Warrior
- Vellanti: one of the Swordborn or a Sword-Mountain
- Dranath: Herb of the Mind
- Rialla: roughly translated means 'Lord Circle;' the Rialla is the gathering of Princes and Lords that is held every three years
- Ros'salath: Warrior's Wall of Dreams, defense used against the Vellant'im, usually kills by driving the mind insane
- Kenida: type of sorcerer mirror, means "glass voice." Can be used for communication. One large mirror broken into smaller pieces and can communicate between them. Can be used by Sunrunners or sorcerers.
- Kazniradi: type of sorcerer mirror, means "long window knowledge." It was a portable window. Can be used by sorcerers only.
- Dalaaji: type of sorcerer mirror, means "Shadowcaster." When a persons name is spoken it shows whether they are diarmadhi, faradhi, halfings or neither. It also shows the aleva, or persons colors in light. Can be used by Sunrunners or Sorcerers.
- Daltaya: type of sorcerer mirror, means "Shadowcatcher." A sorcerer who calls fire in it can be caught inside it, never to be released. Even if the mirror is smashed the sorcerer will just be in all the pieces. Can be used by sorcerers only.